I’ll be 64 in a few weeks. Apparently my HMO can’t wait for me to be 65 because they sent an advertisement for their Senior Advantage Medicare Plan. Wait, let me get through 64 first!! Friends tell me I’ll get lots of this kind of mail the next few months. Guess they all just want to wish me happy 65th birthday early.
I’m already the only one at work collecting Social Security (I took it at 62). Soon I’ll be the only one on Medicare working there. I’m the only one at work with grey hair that doesn’t try to cover it up. I’m old enough to be proud of every grey hair and wear it with pride. I’m old enough to be mother to several of my co-workers and some I could be their grandmother.
There are some advantages of getting older:
- Senior discount at the movie matinee
- Senior discount at the craft store one Wednesdays
- 5% off at some grocery stores
- Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
- In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
- No one expects you to run into a burning building.
- There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
- Things you buy now won’t wear out.
My husband and I were talking this morning about how time seems to go faster now than it did when we were younger. He remembers being in the Navy and how slow those 4 years went. On the other hand, he can’t believe he’s been out of the Navy for over 40 years. I’m hoping the next few years don’t fly by and that I can enjoy my Senior Years.